Scan me or visit www.go-vip.co.uk/o/Age-UK-Cambridgeshire-and-Peterborough/activities/Sharing-Time-Volunteer/72386 to join
SummaryCould you spare an hour each
week to have a chat and a cup of
tea with an older person?
Volunteer role: Sharing Time Volunteer
Key contact: Area Organiser
Location: Usually at ‘matched’ service user’s home address
Time Commitment: Minimum of one hour per week
DBS check level: Enhanced level check
To offer support to those who find themselves isolated and lonely in later life, by offering time, friendship, and support.
Skills/Abilities and experience beneficial to the role
A real desire to make a difference to older people’s lives but you may also have:
• An ability to work with older individuals together with an enthusiastic and friendly approach
• An understanding of the need for company to reduce social isolation for older individuals
• An ability to recognise issues concerning the client’s health, wellbeing and quality of life and feedback to Age UK
• Be reliable and committed to older individuals and the charity, with the ability to empathise and engage with the individuals from all walks of life, regardless of cultural or social background.
The below list is an example of the tasks required in the role of Sharing Time volunteer; not all tasks will be required, and it is up to the service user and the volunteer to decide how they would like to spend time together:
• Sharing conversation, encouraging reminiscing, looking at photos
• Listening to music/the radio and sharing conversations about it
• Watching a TV or film together
• Playing board games or doing a crossword puzzle together
• Making or accepting a cup of tea/beverages
• Helping to fill out a form if confident to do so, posting a letter
Age UK CAP induction training is mandatory, and you cannot start your role until you have completed this training. There may be additional service specific training required. All volunteers are encouraged to attend volunteer meetings to share experiences and receive training and support from Age UK Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.